Growing up, my father was known for his creative and delicious dishes, but one dish that always stood out was his Mac and Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes. It was always a special treat when he would make this dish for us on weekends or for special occasions.
My siblings and I would gather in the kitchen, eagerly helping our father prepare each ingredient and stuff the juicy tomatoes with the creamy mac and cheese mixture. The combination of the soft and tangy tomato with the gooey and comforting mac and cheese was always a hit with everyone who tried it.
One of the things that made my father’s Mac and Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes so unique was his secret ingredient – a pinch of love. He would always tell us that no matter what you cook, if you don’t put love into it, it won’t taste as good. And he was right! The love that he put into each dish was evident in the taste and the warmth it brought to our hearts.
Even now, as an adult, I still make my father’s famous Mac and Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes and it always brings back fond memories of my childhood. The dish may be simple, but the memories and love associated with it will always be special to me.
- 6 medium-sized ripe tomatoes
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 3 cups of milk
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup (optional, for a tomato-y twist)
- 1 pinch of paprika (optional, for some color)
- 1 pinch of love (mandatory, for that extra special touch)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the tops off of the tomatoes and scoop out the insides, creating a tomato “bowl”. Reserve the scooped out tomato flesh for later.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until combined.
- Gradually add the milk while continuously whisking, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add the shredded cheese, stirring until melted.
- Mix in the cooked macaroni and the reserved tomato flesh. Add salt and pepper to taste, and if desired, a splash of ketchup and a pinch of paprika.
- Spoon the mac and cheese mixture into the tomato “bowls”.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of each filled tomato.
- Place the stuffed tomatoes in a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Serve hot and don’t forget the pinch of love!
Enjoy this delicious and comically stuffed dish! The secret ingredient of love is what will make these Mac and Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes truly unforgettable.